How Traditional Chinese Medicine influences better sleep
Sleep is one of the most significant ways to promote brain function and healing. Almost every type of tissue and system in the body is dependent on a good night’s sleep. Research has demonstrated that a lack of sleep or poor-quality sleep increases the risk of disorders such as mental health conditions, brain fog and lack of concentration, high blood pressure, cardiovascular disease, diabetes, and obesity. According to the American Sleep Association, 35% of people aged 20-49 get less than the recommended 7 hours of sleep, with 10% of people suffering from chronic insomnia.
The root of most types of insomnia is stress, followed by substance or stimulant use, shift work, poor sleep habits, lack of exercise, and other health issues. Western Medicine aids sleep disorders by focusing on lifestyle habits that disrupt sleep. When changes are adjusted and sleep does not further improve, medications may be prescribed. More often these medications are meant to be used short-term but often become chronically needed. Some medications also come with side effects that may continue to contribute to poor sleep habits and may become the source of new health problems.
Natural remedies such as diet changes, CBD products, blue light filters, limiting screen usage, and stress management are common, however, they may also be ineffective or make minimal difference.
At Huatuo Clinic, our doctors and residents provide acupuncture, moxibustion, and herbal formulas as a holistic option for rejuvenating sleep. Traditional Chinese Medicine works as a whole to rebalance the mind and body by stimulating the parasympathetic system to bring the brain into a restful state. This process stimulates the brain’s natural sources of melatonin hormone to activate rest and sleep.
The improvements from our treatments can include falling asleep quicker, staying asleep longer, and waking more rested. These results are obtained from the concepts of Traditional Chinese Medicine to not just target the distractions and symptoms that trigger your poor sleep, but also address secondary signs that may contribute to other health concerns to create the most effective treatment for you.
- Dr. Heather WongDr. Heather Wong Dr. Ac, MSc. TCM Book an appointment with Dr. Heather Wong Languages: English, Mandarin, Cantonese Dr. Heather Wong is an experienced Traditional Chinese Medicine practitioner specializing in acupuncture and internal medicine. She is a highly skilled and compassionate acupuncturist with a wealth of experience in Traditional Chinese Medicine. She has dedicated her… Read more: Dr. Heather Wong
- Recognizing International Day of Persons with DisabilitiesOn this International Day of Persons with Disabilities, Huatuo Clinic proudly joins the global community in recognizing the strength, resilience, and unique abilities of individuals facing diverse health challenges. Our commitment to inclusivity extends beyond words – it’s reflected in our actions. Introducing the Alberta Innovative Disabilities Program As part of our ongoing dedication to… Read more: Recognizing International Day of Persons with Disabilities
- Huatuo Clinic 2024 Holiday ScheduleBelow please find the clinic closing days for the upcoming holiday seasons and book your appointment in advanced. We wish you peace, love, and joy in the coming holiday seasons and throughout 2024!
- Dr. Mitchel LewadnyDr. Mitchel Lewadny R.Ac, TCMD Book an appointment with Dr. Mitchel Lewadny Mitchel began his studies at ACATCM during which time he was awarded a scholarship for academic excellence by the Calgary Chinese Herbal Society. In 2018 he observed at several leading acupuncture hospitals around China. He has also assimilated a variety of disciplines into… Read more: Dr. Mitchel Lewadny
- Dr. Stella PunDr. Stella Pun Doctor of Acupuncture, Dr. Ac Book an appointment with Dr. Stella Pun Languages: Cantonese, Mandarin, English Dr. Stella Pun specializes in Facial rejuvenation and Meridian Tissue Manipulation Therapy. She holds a CIDESCO International of Esthetics Certificate and Dr. Pun has built her reputation in the esthetic industry and over 40 years of ecstatic beauty… Read more: Dr. Stella Pun